Next programme intake
We are now welcoming registrations for our Summer term 18/19 (September exams)
Who is this programme for?
The Professional Diploma in Financial Services programme is aimed at everyone working in banking, including those who work in or aspire to work in roles with management responsibilities. It broadens and deepens your knowledge of the practice of banking, customer relationship management and, particularly, credit risk management.
How you will benefit
This highly practical and applicable programme offers you a blend of academic knowledge and professional skills. Specifically, it will:
- Broaden and deepen your technical understanding of the main activities in banking and associated risks
- Develop a highly marketable and transferrable skill set, including decision-making, problem-solving, communication and analytic skills
- Enhance your critical awareness and understanding of the contemporary issues in financial services
Members who complete the Professional Diploma in Financial Services, and who commit to completing Continuing Professional Development hours, will be entitled to use the designation Professional Banker.
The Professional Banker designation is a fundamental acquirement for those seeking to develop and advance a career in banking, including management roles.
The annual designation fee is €235.
You study three modules:
- Principles and Practice of Banking* (NFQ Level 8, 10 ECTS)
- Principles of Credit Risk (NFQ Level 8, 5 ECTS)
- Customer Experience Management* (NFQ Level 8, 5 ECTS)
When you successfully complete this programme you will be awarded a Professional Diploma in Financial Services (level 8) from UCD.
Blended - Online, workshops, lectures
Combination of continuous assessment and written exams
- For the modules Principles of Credit Risk and Customer Experience Management: two-hour exam at the end of the semester
- For the module Principles and Practice of Banking: three-hour exam at the end of the semester
The pass mark is 40% in all modules in line with UCD academic policy
a) Individuals seeking admission to the Professional Diploma in Financial Services will have at least 3 years’ experience in a Retail Banking role, have completed a 30 ECTS Special Purpose Award/s at Level 7 NFQ e.g. Professional Diploma in Financial Advice and completed one of the Institute’s specialist Special Purpose Awards (min 10 ECTS) at Level 8 from the Institute’s suite of specialist programmes.
b) Admission will also be considered from individuals who possess an Honours Degree (min Hons. 2.2 Level 8 NFQ) with at least three years’ experience in a Banking role, and have completed one of the Institute’s specialist Special Purpose Awards at Level 8 (Min. 10 ECTS) from the Institute’s suite of specialist programmes.
You must be a current member of the Institute, or become a member, to undertake this programme.
€475 for each module
*Please note that there is a core textbook required for these modules. This can be purchased at the same time as your module registration.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Once you hold the Professional Banker designation you will be required to complete 6 CPD hours annually.
The Institute of Banking will provide all of the required CPD content online. In addition, we will provide a number of seminars annually.
You may be awarded formal CPD hours when you successfully complete relevant modules within this qualification.
Further information is available here.