Who is this programme for?
The Professional Certificate in Wealth Management is designed to enhance the skills and knowledge of those individuals working in the wealth management area or those providing advice, or seeking to provide advice to customers on wealth management solutions within the banking sector. The programme is a progression for individuals who have completed the Professional Diploma in Financial Advice and are designated Qualified Financial Advisers (QFA) under the Central Bank of Ireland’s Minimum Competency Code.
Wealth management is now a key function of the banking sector, with an increasing requirement for understanding the risk and return of different types of assets and the construction of suitable portfolios of assets for the provision of long-term wealth management solutions for customers. The programme is designed to further enhance the competencies of QFA designates in the key area of wealth management.
How you will benefit
On successful completion of this programme, you will be able to:
- Explain the concepts of risk and return of investment assets, portfolio management strategy and long term financial planning.
- Analyse the types of assets (stocks, bonds, real estate, and alternative assets) involved in investment portfolio construction.
- Describe the fundamental principles of asset allocation in investment portfolios appropriate to private individuals and the tools used to construct investment portfolios.
- Assess the trade-off between a customer’s financial requirements and risk tolerance, in developing long term wealth management solutions.
- Describe how portfolios can be aligned to meet the needs of different categories of private individuals.
- Evaluate the appropriate investment management strategies for customers at different stages of the lifecycle.
- Negotiate and recommend appropriate changes to customers’ existing financial plans to accommodate and reflect their changed circumstances.
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders (particularly clients and customers) on the features and benefits of investment strategies and products.
You study one module:
- Wealth Management (NFQ Level 8, 10 ECTS)
When you successfully complete this programme you will be awarded a Professional Certificate in Wealth Management (level 8) from UCD.
Online, workshops, lectures
- Students will be assessed by way of a written exam and continuous assessment, in which they will be required to produce a detailed financial plan and test the plan against changes in market conditions and customers’ changing needs.
- Three-hour exam at the end of the semester.
- The pass mark is 40% in all modules in line with UCD academic policy.
a) Individuals seeking admission to the Professional Certificate in Wealth Management will have 3 years’ experience (full time) in a relevant banking role and completed the Professional Diploma in Financial Advice or equivalent 30 ECTS Level 7 programme.
b) Individuals who possess an honours degree (Min. H2.2, Level 8 NFQ).
c) Admission will also be considered from experienced professionals who do not meet the minimum admission requirements as set out above, who can demonstrate learning based on work and training experience e.g. Individuals employed in a Financial Advice Role in Financial Services.
You must be a current member of the Institute, or become a member, to undertake this programme.
Please note that there is a core textbook required for this module. This can be purchased at the same time as your module registration.
If you are a CPD member, LCOI or Chartered Banker, you may be awarded formal CPD hours when you successfully complete relevant modules within this qualification.
Further information is available here.