Who is this programme for?
The Professional Diploma in Banking Risk Management Practices is a specialist risk management programme specifically designed for risk professionals (including compliance professionals) who are working in the banking industry.
The programme was designed in conjunction with risk management and compliance professionals working in banking and will equip participants with the necessary technical risk skills and risk knowledge as well as providing participants with a benchmark qualification that is recognised in the Irish banking industry.
The programme is designed to provide participants with a deep and practical understanding of key risks including inter alia:
- Banking risk management frameworks
- Conduct risk management frameworks
- Regulatory capital
- Funding and liquidity risk
- Operational risk
- Risk culture
- Risk based pricing.
- It will also provide the tools to identify, measure and mitigate those risks to improve business performance.
The programme is relevant to individuals who are risk professionals and those who wish to develop a career in risk management including:
- Holders of the Professional Certificate or Diploma in Compliance
- Banking and financial institutions’ central functions, risk and compliance professionals including: Compliance, Operational risk, Internal audit, Credit review, Legal, Finance, Technology, Change management.
- Financial institutions’ frontline staff who wish to gain a deeper understanding of banking risk management practices.
How you will benefit
This specialist programme will provide you with:
- A thorough understanding of the key practical and relevant operational risks facing banking professionals in Ireland today including inter alia: financial crime prevention/AML/CFT, KYC, external and internal fraud, information security, IT resilience, cybercrime, outsourcing, business continuity planning, data quality, data protection, impact on capital and other practical areas.
- A deep and practical understanding of the requirements and responsibilities of operational risk and conduct risk management.
- An understanding of regulatory capital and economic capital and the regulatory capital requirements for a bank including the different types of capital instruments.
- An understanding of liquidity risk management and the role of asset and liability management
- An understanding of the core principles relevant for effective credit risk management, encompassing credit risk management frameworks, credit risk measurement techniques, bad debt provisions.
- An understanding of the risk-based pricing for credit products.
- Global best practice tools for the identification, assessment, measurement and management of operational risks and conduct risks.
- Knowledge and skills to capture, report and investigate operational risk events and conduct risk events, how to produce meaningful risk MI including Key Risk Indicator (KRI) data and trend analysis, and how to implement operational risk appetite and conduct risk appetite.
- An understanding of how to manage an operational and conduct risk assessment programme and apply it in the workplace
- Enhanced business judgement, critical analysis and problem solving skills.
- Successful participants will be awarded the Professional Diploma in Banking Risk Management Practices by UCD. This is a level 8 qualification on the NFQ and carries 25 ECTS.
- Participants can then apply directly to PRMIA, at no additional fee, to be awarded the globally recognised PRMIA Operational Risk Manager Certificate. Please see: http://www.prmia.org/orm-certificate/what-is-the-orm-certificate for more information.
PRMIA is globally recognised as a leading educator of risk management professionals and is active in nearly every major financial centre worldwide with 50,000+ members represented in over 65 countries.
You will study four modules as follows:
- Operational Risk Management Practices (NFQ Level 8, 10 ECTS)
- Banking Risk Management Framework, Culture and Conduct Risk (NFQ Level 8, 5 ECTS)
- Introduction to Economic and Regulatory Capital Requirements, Credit Risk and Pricing (NFQ Level 8, 5 ECTS)
- Portfolio and Front Line Pricing for Risk, Funding and Liquidity Risk (NFQ Level 8, 5 ECTS)
The Operational Risk Management Practices module is assessed by:
- Continuous assessment - 10%
- An end-of-semester two-hour written exam - 90%
The Banking Risk Framework, Culture and Conduct Risk module is assessed by:
- An end-of-semester two-hour written exam - 100%.
The Introduction to Economic and Regulatory Capital Requirements, Credit Risk and Pricing module is assessed by:
- Continuous assessment - 20%.
- An end-of-semester two-hour written exam - 80%.
This Portfolio and Front Line Pricing for Risk, Funding and Liquidity Risk module is assessed by:
- Continuous assessment - 10%
- An end-of-semester two-hour written exam - 90%.
The pass mark is 40% in all modules in line with UCD academic policy.
a) Individuals seeking admission to the Professional Diploma in Banking Risk Management Practices will have 3 years’ experience (full time) in a relevant banking role and completed the Professional Diploma in Financial Advice or equivalent 30 ECTS Level 7 programme.
b) Individuals who possess an honours degree (Min. Hons. 2.2, Level 8 NFQ).
c) Admission will also be considered from experienced professionals who do not meet the minimum admission requirements as set out above, who can demonstrate learning based on work and training experience e.g. Individuals employed in a Risk role with responsibility for decision-making.
Professional Body Membership
You must be a current member of The Institute of Banking, or become a member, to register for this programme. Membership is currently €40 per calendar year.
Online, workshops, eLearning
- Operational Risk Management Practices: €550
- Banking Risk Management Framework, Culture and Conduct Risk: €495
- Introduction to Economic and Regulatory Capital Requirements, Credit Risk and Pricing: €495
- Portfolio and Front Line Pricing for Risk, Funding and Liquidity Risk: €495
Semester 1 commences on 2 October 2017.