Who is this programme for?
The Professional Certificate in International Investment Fund Services is a unique and specific programme, designed to support the international investment funds industry.
The programme will be of interest and particular relevance to those working, and those seeking to work, in the investment funds industry and newly practising professionals working in the asset management and investment funds areas in the legal and auditing advisory firms.
Reflecting industry practise and developments
Designed and delivered by the industry, the Professional Certificate in International Investment Fund Services is the acknowledged qualification of, and for, the international funds industry. A three module programme, the first module, Introduction to Investment Funds, introduces and contextualises the fund as an investment product, discusses the investment fund from its establishment right through its life cycle and the various involvements and interjections through that life cycle. The Fund Accounting and Valuation for International Investment Funds module outlines the accounting and valuation aspects of investment funds, including the accounting statements for funds, the calculation of the Net Asset Value (NAV) and the importance of and controls around ensuring an accurate NAV. The third module, Custody and Transfer Agency, examines the operation and the roles and responsibilities of the custody and transfer agency functions for international investment funds.
How you will benefit
The overall aim of the programme is to introduce, discuss and describe the investment fund from its inception right through to its termination detailing the functions and parties to a fund; the roles, responsibilities and activities of all the parties to the fund and how each area interacts with each other. It will enable you to:
– Describe the various functions and parties to an investment fund, their roles and how they interrelate.– Describe the functions, objectives, structures and types of investment funds
– Explain the legal and regulatory environment for investment funds including investor classifications and risk controls
– Discuss the role of outsourcing and specialist servicing jurisdictions in the international fund industry
– Understand the fundamental accounting principles, standards and the financial statements of an investment fund
– Calculate the Net Asset Value (NAV) for single and multi-share class funds and understand the importance of an accurate NAV and the controls surrounding its calculation
– Describe and understand the critical role and responsibilities of the custodian and transfer agent in the global investment funds industry
– Explain the main custody and shareholder services including cash management, dealing, settlements registration, investor trade processing and investor-level fee calculations
– Discuss and have a strong awareness of Anti-Money Laundering, Common Reporting Standards (CRS) and other major international industry initiatives and developments.
This programme is offered in partnership with Irish Funds (if).
You study three modules:
- Introduction to Investment Funds (NFQ Level 7, 5 ECTS)
- Fund Accounting and Valuation for International Investment Funds (NFQ Level 7, 5 ECTS)
- Custody and Transfer Agency (NFQ Level 7, 5 ECTS)
Blended – online and face-to-face lectures
- End of semester exams
- Written, case-study and essay-style questions
- Exam duration: 2 hours
The pass mark is 40% in line with UCD academic policy.
*Please note: The exam for the Introduction to Investment Funds module will take place on 08 December 2018.
The minimum entry requirements to the Professional Certificate in International Investment Fund Services are as follows:
· Five passes in the Leaving Certificate, including English and Mathematics
· Five O Level/GCSE passes, including English Language and Mathematics.
The Institute will also consider applications on a mature candidate basis from applicants who are 23 years of age before the date of their application for admission to the programme.
You must be a current member of the Institute or become a member to do this programme unless registering with Summitt Finuas Skilnet
Summit Finuas price: €1,380*
*2018 modules are eligible for Summit Finuas Skillnet funding for a limited number of places on a first come, first served basis.
If you are a QFA, CPD member, LCOI or Chartered Banker, you may be awarded formal CPD hours when you successfully complete this qualification.
Further information is available here.
If you would like to Express an Interest in this programme please click here