Who is this programme for?
This programme is designed for those employed in a financial services company who engage in the provision of financial advice to consumers. It provides advisers with a thorough understanding of the principles of good advice and the financial services industry.
The Certificate for Financial Advisers (CeFA®) consists of four modules (seven units) that will enable you to develop an extensive knowledge and understanding of UK financial regulation, investments, retirement planning and protection and the risks that go with them.
The Institute of Banking provides CeFA® for its members in Northern Ireland under a special arrangement with ifs School of Finance. The ifs School of Finance will award successful candidates the CeFA® qualification.
Benefits for you and your organisation
Once you complete this programme, you will be able to:
- Detail the purpose and structure of the UK financial services environment
- Explain underlying investment principles and describe, compare and contrast the features and functions of commonly used investment products and make recommendations that best match client needs to product features
- Explain the aims and strategies of retirement planning and the purpose and scope of financial protection
- Identify customer needs and formulate suitable financial solutions within the regulatory and ethical framework.
You study four modules:
UK Financial Regulation
Investment and Risks
Retirement Planning and Protection
Assessment of Investment Advice Knowledge
End of semester exams
The exams consist of multiple choice questions and written, case-study style questions
The pass mark for Units 1 to 6 is 70%. These are one-hour exams
The pass mark for Unit 7 is 70%. This is a two-hour exam
The second level education requirements for employment in financial institutions are acceptable for entry to the programme.
You must be a member of the Institute or become a member to undertake this programme
Registration Electronic Examinations
In conjunction with ifs School of Finance and Pearson VUE, the Institute of Banking offers CeFA® for all registrations, by way of electronic examination.
€270 per module
* In compliance with UCD’s regulations on Prior Approved Learning, candidates who successfully complete (or who have completed) ifs modules will receive up to a maximum of 15 ECTS credits towards the 60 credits necessary to be awarded the University Diploma in Financial Services.