Who is this programme for?
The MSc in Banking was introduced specifically to support the development of individuals in leadership positions, or who aspire to leadership roles.
It exposes students to contemporary issues in ethics and corporate governance relevant to financial institutions within the context of understanding the importance of effective risk management. Students then progress to develop expertise in corporate finance, asset management and strategy. The remaining curriculum develops a deeper understanding of risk instruments and management, negotiation skills, and introduces the important topic of decision-making and its applicability to financial services.
The overall aim of the programme is to develop banking professionals who have a wide frame of reference with the ability to critically evaluate their business environment to provide leadership to support a sustainable banking model for the benefit of customers, shareholders and society.
How you will benefit
This programme will support your personal and professional development whilst giving you a deep integrated, understanding of banking.
- Broaden your knowledge and understanding of the requirements for responsible banking, and the management of banks in the interests of a wide range of stakeholders.
- Enhance your business judgement, critical analysis and problem solving skills.
- Develop your thinking on key business challenges and ethical dilemmas faced by management when striving to improve business performance.
- Provide you with the opportunity to develop comprehensive knowledge and expertise across a broad curriculum relevant to financial institutions.
- Develop a holistic professional skill set to ensure commercial sustainability and the maintenance of the trust of customers and wider stakeholders.
This programme provides a pathway to the prestigious and internationally recognised Chartered Banker designation.
Upon successful completion of the following three modules -
- the two core modules (Ethics and Corporate Governance, Risk Management in Financial Institutions), plus one optional module (selected from Corporate Finance or Asset Management or Strategy and Innovation for Retail Financial Services)
- students are eligible to apply for the professional designation Chartered Banker, subject to having a minimum of three years' experience in banking or financial services.
Chartered Banker is the gold standard for professionals working in the banking sector. Chartered Bankers are highly qualified professionals, well equipped for a management career or leadership role in banking.
- Ethics and Corporate Governance (NFQ Level 9, 10 ECTS)
- Risk Management in Financial Institutions (NFQ Level 9, 10 ECTS)
- Corporate Finance (NFQ Level 9, 10 ECTS)
- Asset Management (NFQ Level 9, 10 ECTS)
- Strategy and Innovation for Retail Financial Services (NFQ Level 9, 10 ECTS)
- Managing for Compliance Or Tax and Estate Planning (NFQ Level 9, 10 ECTS);
- Risk-Based Financial Management (NFQ Level 9, 10 ECTS)
- Behavioural Decision-Making (NFQ Level 9, 10 ECTS)
- Winning Business Negotiation Strategies (NFQ Level 9, 10 ECTS)
The MSc in Banking is awarded on successful completion of all nine modules. This MSc is accredited and awarded by UCD (at postgraduate level 9).
Students who leave the programme after successfully completing the first six modules are eligible for the exit award Graduate Diploma in Banking from UCD (at postgraduate level 9).
The minimum entry requirements for the programme are:
- Honours degree (second class honours grade 2 award or higher) in business or a related discipline (e.g.) accounting, finance or economics and at least three years' relevant work experience in banking or financial services.
- Those who do not hold a degree, but have exceptional middle or senior management experience are eligible to apply and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Professional body membership
You must be a current member of the Institute of Banking, or become a member, to register for this programme.
Membership is currently €40 per calendar year.
Postgraduate courses are lecture-based and delivered on a part-time basis. Students can register for a maximum of two modules per semester. Each 10 ECTS module comprises of up to 30 delivery hours per semester.
24 months (part-time).
Assessment is a combination of continuous assessment and written exams.
The pass mark is 40% in all modules in line with UCD academic policy.
For further information on fees please see the application guidelines for this programme.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Those awarded the Chartered Banker designation on foot of having satisfied both the educational and work experience requirements will be required to complete 6 CPD hours annually to maintain the designation.
We provide all of the required CPD content with a combination of online courses and face-to-face events.
If you would like to express an interest in this programme click here