Who is this programme for?
The Professional Diploma in Advanced Banking Risk Management is a specialist risk management programme specifically designed for senior risk and compliance professionals who are working in senior risk management or related roles in banking, financial institutions or providing risk management advisory services to banks.
It covers a broad technical curriculum encompassing the key conceptual foundations of banking risk management and it will enable participants to think strategically in order to manage the key risks in accordance with the bank’s competitive advantages and risk appetite.
This programme is designed for:
- Banking and financial institutions’ senior risk and compliance professionals who are members of the bank risk committees and related roles including, but not limited to, governance, risk, regulatory and liquidity committees.
- Banking, financial and regulatory institutions’ senior risk and compliance professionals who are working in risk and compliance roles including:
- Credit review
- Capital and credit modelling
- Conduct risk
- Asset and liability management
- Market risk
- Operational risk
- Internal audit
- Change management
- Risk professionals working in the Central Bank of Ireland, National Treasury Management Agency, accountants, business consultants, lawyers and other professionals who provide risk management advisory services.
How you will benefit
This programme will support your professional development and provide you with:
- An internationally recognised university qualification at master’s degree level from University College Dublin.
- At the strategic level, an understanding of the sources and nature of the key risks inherent in the banking model and the inter-relationships between those risks, the bank’s competitive advantage, capital requirements, regulatory requirements and customer imperatives.
- An understanding of corporate and risk governance and its relevance within the overall business context including global best practice governance standards.
- The current global best practice risk management approaches used by banks to identify, measure, mitigate and manage these risks in an enterprise-wide risk context.
- The technical risk skills and knowledge to critically evaluate and implement practical solutions to the key risk challenges facing banks’ senior management teams.
- An understanding of the regulatory imperatives that drive risk management in banking and an understanding of what regulators are seeking to achieve.
You study four modules as follows:
- Risk Governance, Culture, Business and Enterprise Risk Management (NFQ Level 9, 10 ECTS)
- Regulatory and Economic Capital Management, Credit Risk and Pricing for Risk (NFQ Level 9, 5 ECTS)
- Strategic Operational, Conduct and Reputational Risk Management (NFQ Level 9, 10 ECTS)
- ALM, Liquidity and Market Risk (NFQ Level 9, 5 ECTS)
Upon successful completion of the four modules of this programme you will receive:
The Professional Diploma in Advanced Banking Risk Manangement from UCD (at postgraduate level 9)
This programme is delivered on a part-time basis and for each module, lectures will take place in Dublin city centre (IFSC).
Each 5 ECTS module comprises of up to 15 delivery hours per semester (i.e. up to 5 evenings) and each 10 ECTS module comprises of up to 30 delivery hours per semester (i.e. up to 10 evenings).
Assessment is a combination of continuous assessment and an end of semester written examination.
The pass mark is 40% in all modules in line with UCD academic policy
The minimum entry requirements for the programme are:
Honours degree (second class honours grade 2 award or higher) in business or in a relevant cognate discipline and have at least three years’ experience in a banking role
Have completed the Professional Diploma in Banking Risk Management Practices (at level 8) and have at least three years’ experience in a risk role
Admission may also be considered for experienced professionals who do not meet the admission requirements as set out above where they can demonstrate learning through work and training which makes them a suitable candidate for the programme, i.e. they will have significant experience in a senior risk role with responsibility for risk decisions.
Professional Body Membership
You must be a current member of The Institute of Banking, or become a member, to register for this programme.
Membership is currently €40 per calendar year.
- Risk Governance, Culture, Business and Enterprise Risk Management €1,100 €800*(Summit Finuas Skillnet price)
- Regulatory and Economic Capital Management, Credit Risk and Pricing for Risk €550 €400*(Summit Finuas Skillnet price)
- Strategic Operational, Conduct and Reputational Risk Management €1,100 €800*(Summit Finuas Skillnet price)
- Asset and Liability Management (ALM), Liquidity and Market Risk €550 €400**(Summit Finuas Skillnet price)
* 2018 modules are eligible for Summit Finuas Skillnet funding for a limited number of places on a first come first served basis.
** The availability of funding for modules in future semesters will be confirmed in advance of their commencement.
Tax relief may be available to candidates who are paying fees in a personal capacity. Further information is available from www.revenue.ie.
The programme commences February 2019.
Semester 1: Risk Governance, Culture, Business and Enterprise Risk Management* Asset and Liability Management (ALM) Liquidity and Market Risk
* Semester 2: Regulatory and Economic Capital Management, Credit Risk and Pricing for Risk
Semester 3: Strategic Operational Conduct and Reputational Risk Management
*You can take these two modules together or one in semester 1 2018/2019 and one in 2019/2020.