Who is this programme for?
The Professional Diploma in Banking was introduced specifically to support the development of individuals in leadership positions, or who aspire to leadership roles in banking and financial services.
It exposes students to contemporary issues in ethics and corporate governance relevant to financial institutions within the context of understanding the importance of effective risk management. Students then progress to develop expertise in corporate finance, asset management or strategy, depending on their selection of the relevant optional module.
How you will benefit
This programme will support your personal and professional development whilst giving you an integrated, critical understanding of banking.
- Broaden your knowledge and understanding of the requirements for responsible banking, taking on board the interests of a wide range of stakeholders.
- Develop your thinking on key business challenges and ethical dilemmas faced by management when striving to improve business performance.
- Provide you with the opportunity to develop specialist knowledge and expertise in corporate finance, asset management, or strategy in the specific context of retail banking.
- Enhance your business judgement, critical analysis and problem solving skills.
- Develop in you a holistic professional skill set to ensure commercial sustainability and the maintenance of the trust of customers and wider stakeholders.
This programme satisifes the educational requirement for the prestigious, internationally recognised Chartered Banker designation.
Chartered Banker is the gold standard for professionals working in the financial services sector. Chartered Bankers are highly qualified professionals, well equipped for a management career or leadership role.
Students who successfully complete the Professional Diploma in Banking are eligible to apply for the professional designation Chartered Banker subject to having three years' experience in banking or financial services.
Students must complete two core modules, plus one optional module:
- Ethics and Corporate Governance (NFQ Level 9, 10 ECTS)
- Risk Management in Financial Institutions (NFQ Level 9, 10 ECTS)
- Corporate Finance (NFQ Level 9, 10 ECTS)
- Asset Management (NFQ Level 9, 10 ECTS)
- Strategy and Innovation for Retail Financial Services (NFQ Level 9, 10 ECTS)
Upon successful completion of the three modules of this programme you will be awarded the Professional Diploma in Banking by UCD (at postgraduate level 9) and will be eligible to apply for the professional designation Chartered Banker, subject to having a minimum of three years' experience in banking or financial services.
- Individuals (non-degree holders) admitted to this programme will have at least 6 years' minimum experience in a banking or financial services firm and have completed the Professional Diploma in Financial Services (Level 8, 30 ECTS) or equivalent programmes comprising 30 ECTS at level 8, and a 30 ECTS Special Purpose Award/s at level 7.
- Admission will also be granted to individuals with an Honours undergraduate business degree (or a degree in a relevant cognate discipline) with a minimum honours 2.2 and have 3 years' minimum experience in a banking or financial services firm.
- Admission will also be granted to individuals who may not meet the education entry requirements but who have significant experience in a management or senior management role.
Professional body membership
You must be a current member of the Institute of Banking, or become a member, to register for this programme.
Membership is currently €40 per calendar year.
Postgraduate courses are lecture-based and delivered on a part-time basis. Students can register for a maximum of two modules per semester. Each 10 ECTS module comprises of up to 30 delivery hours per semester.
A minimum of 12 months part-time, with the precise duration determined by the choice of optional module selected.
Assessment is a combination of continuous assessment and written exams.
The pass mark is 40% in all modules in line with UCD academic policy.
For further information on fees please see the application guidelines for this programme.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Those awarded the Chartered Banker designation on foot of having satisfied both the educational and work experience requirements will be required to complete 6 CPD hours annually to maintain the designation.
We provide all of the required CPD content with a combination of online courses and face-to-face events.
To express an interest in this programme click here