Who is this programme for?
The Professional Diploma in Banking was introduced specifically to support the development of individuals in leadership positions, or who aspire to leadership roles.
It exposes students to contemporary issues in ethics and corporate governance relevant to financial institutions within the context of understanding the importance of effective risk management. Students then progress to develop expertise in corporate finance, asset management or strategy.
How you will benefit
This programme will support your personal and professional development whilst giving you an integrated, critical understanding of banking.
- Broaden your knowledge and understanding of the requirements for responsible banking, taking on board the interests of a wide range of stakeholders.
- Develop your thinking on key business challenges and ethical dilemmas faced by management when striving to improve business performance.
- Provide you with the opportunity to develop specialist knowledge and expertise in corporate finance, asset management, or strategy in the specific context of retail banking.
- Enhance your business judgement, critical analysis and problem solving skills.
- Develop in you a holistic professional skill set to ensure commercial sustainability and the maintenance of the trust of customers and wider stakeholders.
This programme leads to the prestigious, internationally recognised Chartered Banker designation.
Chartered Banker is the gold standard for professionals working in the financial services sector. Chartered Bankers are highly qualified professionals, well equipped for a management career or leadership role.
Students must complete two core modules, plus one optional module:
- Ethics and Corporate Governance (NFQ Level 9, 10 ECTS)
- Risk Management in Financial Institutions (NFQ Level 9, 10 ECTS)
- Corporate Finance (NFQ Level 9, 10 ECTS)
- Asset Management (NFQ Level 9, 10 ECTS)
- Strategy and Innovation for Retail Financial Services (NFQ Level 9, 10 ECTS)
Upon successful completion of the three modules of this programme you will be awarded the Professional Diploma in Banking and will be eligible to apply for the professional designation Chartered Banker, subject to having completed the Foundation Certificate.
Entry to this programme requires:
Individuals (non degree holders) admitted to this programme will have at least 6 years’ experience in a financial services firm with at least 3 years in a management or senior management role and have completed the Professional Diploma in Financial Services (level 8, 30 credits) or equivalent programmes comprising 30 ECTS and a 30 ECTS special purpose award or awards at level 7.
Admission will also be granted to individuals with an honours (second class honours grade 2 award or higher) undergraduate business degree (or a degree in a relevant cognate discipline) and have 3 years’ minimum experience in a financial services firm in a management or senior management role.
Those who do not hold a degree, but have exceptional middle or senior management experience are eligible to apply and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Professional body membership
You must be a current member of the Institute of Banking, or become a member, to register for this programme.
Membership is currently €40 per calendar year.
Postgraduate courses are delivered on a part-time basis and students can register for a maximum of two modules per semester. Each 10 ECTS module comprises of up to 30 delivery hours per semester.
Depending on the optional module chosen, this programme can be completed within six months.
Assessment is a combination of continuous assessment and written exams.
The pass mark is 40% in all modules in line with UCD academic policy.
For further information on fees please see the application guidelines for this programme.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Once you hold the Chartered Banker designation you will be required to complete 20 CPD hours annually (which meets the CPD requirements of QFA holders under the Minimum Competency Code and the requirements of the Professional Banker designation, where applicable). We provide all of the required CPD content online at no additional cost. In addition, we will provide you with a number of seminars annually at no additional cost.
If you would like to express an interest in this programme click here
To download the programme brochure click here