Who is this programme for?
The programme is a unique and specialist risk management programme for those working in the banking industry. The programme was designed in conjunction with operational risk and conduct risk professionals working in banking and this Certificate is the benchmark operational risk management and conduct risk management qualification for the banking industry in Ireland.
The programme is a progression for individuals who have completed the Professional Diploma in Financial Advice who are designated Qualified financial Advisers (QFA) and also individuals who have completed the Professional Certificate or Diploma in Compliance.
The programme is designed to provide a deep and practical understanding of the key operational risks and conduct risks facing financial services professionals in Ireland today and the tools to identify, measure and mitigate those risks to improve business performance.
The programme is relevant to:
Holders of the QFA, Holders of the Professional Certificate or Diploma in Compliance, banking compliance and risk professionals, financial institutions’ frontline staff, retail business centre and corporate banking staff, financial institutions central functions risk and compliance professionals including:
- Compliance, Operational risk, internal audit, Credit review, Legal, Finance, Technology, Change management. Credit Union Board compliance and risk committees and Credit Union managers and staff, Regulatory bodies, auditors, accountants, lawyers, stockbrokers, business consultants and other professionals who provide risk management advisory services.
How you will benefit
This specialist programme will provide you with:
- Global best practice tools for the identification, assessment, measurement and management of operational risks and conduct risks
- A deep and practical understanding of the requirements and responsibilities of operational risk and conduct risk management
- A thorough understanding of key practical and relevant operational risks facing banking professionals in Ireland today including inter alia Financial Crime Prevention / AML/CFT/ KYC/, external and internal fraud, information security, IT resilience, cybercrime, outsourcing, business continuity planning, data quality, data protection, impact on capital and other practical areas
- Knowledge and skills to capture, report and investigate operational risk events and conduct risk events
- An understanding of how to produce meaningful Risk MI including Key Risk Indicator (KRI) data and trend analysis, and how to implement operational risk appetite and conduct risk appetite
- An understanding of how to manage an operational and conduct risk assessment programme and apply it in your own workplace
- An advanced ability to blend theory and practice in operational and conduct risk management to improve business performance
- Enhanced business judgement, critical analysis and problem solving skills.
Successful participants will be awarded the Professional Certificate in Conduct Risk, Culture and Operational Risk Management by UCD. This is a level 8 qualification on the National Framework of Qualifications and carries 15 ECTS.
Holders of the UCD award, Professional Certificate in Conduct Risk, Culture and Operational Risk Management, will also be awarded the globally recognised PRMIA Operational Risk Manager Certificate. Please see: http://www.prmia.org/orm-certificate/what-is-the-orm-certificate for more information.
PRMIA are globally recognised as a leading educator of risk management professionals and is active in nearly every major financial center worldwide with 50,000+ members represented in over 65 countries.
You study two modules as follows:
- Operational Risk Management Practices (NFQ Level 8, 10 ECTS)
- Banking Risk Management Framework, Culture and Conduct Risk (NFQ Level 8, 5 ECTS)
The Operational Risk Management Practices module is assessed by:
- Continuous assessment - 10%
- An end-of-semester two-hour written exam - 90%
The Banking Risk Management Framework, Culture and Conduct Risk module is assessed by:
- An end-of-semester two-hour written exam - 100%
The pass mark is 40% in all modules in line with UCD academic policy.
Online, workshops, eLearning
a) Individuals seeking admission to the Professional Certificate in Conduct Risk, Culture and Operations Risk Management will have 3 years’ experience (full time) in a relevant Banking Role; have completed the Professional Diploma in Financial Advice or an equivalent 30 ECTS Level 7 programme.
b) Individuals who possess an honours business degree (Min. H2.2, Level 8 NFQ).
c) Admission will also be considered from experienced professionals who do not meet the minimum admission requirements as set out above who can demonstrate learning based on work and training experience e.g. Individuals employed in a Risk role with responsibility for decision-making.
- Operational Risk Management Practices €550
- Banking Risk Management Framework, Culture and Conduct Risk €495
Professional Body Membership
You must be a current member of The Institute of Banking, or become a member, to register for this programme. Membership is currently €40 per calendar year.
Semester 1 commences on 2 October 2017.