Who is this programme for?
The Bachelor of Financial Services (BFS) Degree programme addresses the educational needs of those who wish to develop management and senior management careers in financial services. The BFS provides those who work in banking with an ideal opportunity to acquire a level 8 University degree, which is recognised and supported by the financial services industry.
While providing a broad business foundation, this programme also examines contemporary issues of importance to the financial services industry. A key feature of this programme is that it merges academic knowledge with relevant professional skills and has been developed by both industry and academic subject leaders. Different modules involve various delivery approaches from a combination of eLearning and workshops to full days of lectures. The BFS is designed with those working full-time in mind, and is flexible so that candidates can continue to pursue their career goals while studying.
How you will benefit
Upon successful completion of the BFS degree graduates are expected to be able to:
- Broaden and deepen their technical understanding of the main activities in banking and associated risks.
- Develop a highly marketable and transferable skill set, including decision-making, problem-solving, communication and analytic skills.
- Enhance your critical awareness and understanding of the contemporary issues in financial services.
- Apply concepts and techniques to evaluate complex business problems to aid decision-making.
- Develop and critically evaluate strategy and the sustainability of business models in banking and financial services.
- Integrate learning into professional practice to take responsibility for personal and professional development.
Members who complete Stage 2, and who commit to completing Continuing Professional Development hours, will be entitled to use the designation Professional Banker subject to having completed the Foundation Certificate.
The Professional Banker designation is a fundamental acquirement for those seeking to develop and advance a career in banking, including management roles.
The annual designation fee is €235.
The BFS has three stages comprising:
Stage 1 - University Diploma in Financial Services
This stage consists of any nine modules from our portfolio of university level 7 qualifications plus the following three mandatory modules:
- Microeconomics (NFQ Level 7, 5 ECTS)
- Macroeconomics (NFQ Level 7, 5 ECTS)
- An Introduction to Financial Accounting Information (NFQ Level 7, 5 ECTS)
Stage 2 consists of five core modules and any other two modules. These modules are as follows:
- Principles and Practice of Banking* (NFQ Level 8, 10 ECTS)
- Principles of Credit Risk (NFQ Level 8, 5 ECTS)
- Wealth Management* (NFQ Level 8, 10 ECTS)
- Customer Experience Management* (NFQ Level 8, 5 ECTS)
- Corporate Governance and Finance (NFQ Level 8, 10 ECTS)
- Business Management* (NFQ Level 8, 10 ECTS)
- SME Credit Risk Assessment (NFQ Level 8, 10 ECTS)
- SME Financing and Distressed Credit Analysis (NFQ Level 8, 10 ECTS)
- Personal Debt Management and Personal Insolvency (NFQ Level 8, 10 ECTS)
To be admitted to Stage 3 you must have successfully completed Stage 2. This stage comprises of six modules:
- International Finance (NFQ Level 8, 10 ECTS)
- Treasury and Risk Management (NFQ Level 8, 10 ECTS)
- Portfolio Management (NFQ Level 8, 10 ECTS)
- Personal Development Planning (NFQ Level 8, 10 ECTS)
- Strategy for Financial Services (NFQ Level 8, 10 ECTS)
- Banking in a Digital Age (NFQ Level 8, 10 ECTS)
Students who have partially completed the BFS in the past should contact the Programme Manager to discuss their module options.
Combination of continuous assessment and written exams. The Personal Development Planning module at Stage 3 is 100% continuous assessment.
- Principles of Credit Risk and Customer Experience Management: two-hour exam
- All other modules: three-hour exams
- Three-hour exams
The pass mark is 40% in line with UCD academic policy.
The second level educational requirements for employment in financial institutions are acceptable for entry to the University Diploma in Financial Services.
Holders of the University Diploma in Financial Services are eligible for direct entry to Stage 2, subject to the completion of the three mandatory modules.
Holders of the Joint Financial Services Diploma are eligible for entry to Stage 2 subject to matriculation, which involves an NUI fee of €150. Further information is available from the Programme Manager.
Applicants with an ordinary degree in business (or equivalent) will be considered for direct entry to Stage 2.
From €295 per module
Core modules (excluding the Wealth Management and Corporate Governance and Finance modules): €475 per module
Optional modules (including the Wealth Management module): €495 per module
Corporate Governance and Finance €630 per module
Core modules (excluding Banking in a Digital Age) €630
Banking in a Digital Age €495
*Please note that there is a core textbook required for these modules. This can be purchased at the same time as your module registration.
Textbooks required for Corporate Governance and Finance and Stage 3 modules are not supplied by the Institute.
If you are a CPD member, LCOI or Chartered Banker, you may be awarded formal CPD hours when you successfully complete relevant modules within this qualification.
Further information is available here.
If you would like to Express an Interest in this programme please click here